DIY – Herringbone Table

13Months and months ago when I moved into my new place I insisted on making a table for our dining area. My poor roommates waited for another couple months using a crappy paint covered table til I actually finished it up. I envisioned a very simple herringbone top that I could whip up in a couple weeks. Pffftt. Herringbone … a couple weeks… obviously didn’t happen.

1

 

Since I work in the industrial area of Las Vegas I had been seeing these wire reels around all the dumpsters of businesses surrounding us. I thought the tops of the reels could act as a base for the tabletop. One day after work I had a co worker help me load it in my car. Who knew these were SO heavy! And of course I had my eye on one near the bottom of the stack.

2

3

I collected some pallet wood from work and some purchased wood for the base.

4

My dad and I designed a super simple yet sturdy base that we knew could handle the weight of the reel top.

5

Hi dads arm

6

I decided on this Poplar wood for the top because it was already sanded smooth so I could stain it however I wanted without any prep work.

7

Stained with 2 colors. Left one the natural color.

8

9

I scaled up the top on the computer so I could visualize what size and pattern I wanted the herringbone to lay.

10

11

After deciding on one foot pieces we gorilla glued then in a random pattern. The stains absorbed differently on every piece even though we bought the same exact wood. I found that to be an added charm to the whole piece instead of having exactly the same 3 colors, it came out dozens of different variations. That’s the fun thing about working with wood, no piece is the same and they react differently because of its porous nature.

12Because the surface of the reel top was really uneven and we didn’t take the time to sand it and level it because of existing screws and bolts the polar wood didn’t lay flat either.. which resulted in a huge adventure figuring out the art of epoxy. It’s no joke. 
14

I wanted a smooth top so cups and bowls are on a semi level surface. After one round of epoxy and having it drip for hours out the bottom of the top and still leaving uncovered sections we did a round two. (This time actually reading the instructions in the box) It came out good enough and hardened well! My pops helped the whole time multiple weekends in a row and provided some of the materials including the aluminum trimming.

15There’s many flaws and TONS of “next time ill do this differently’s” .. but it was a blast! I learned tons about working with wood, and spending all that time sweating, sanding, and jigsawing in my garage with my dad was really priceless. I also promise next time to not document with just my iphone, for the sake of the pictures.

Now, On to the next project!

Advertisements
DIY – Herringbone Table

3 thoughts on “DIY – Herringbone Table

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s